Offworld Industries Ltd. (OWI) is the independent studio behind the successful military first person shooter game, “Squad”. OWI was formed in 2014 by more than 15 developers who had worked together on the well known Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2. The founding purpose of the team was to bring a standalone successor of this acclaimed mod to market and build a game development studio and a livelihood from that foundation.
Fast forward to 2022, OWI has nearly 100 employees and is rapidly growing. We have been expanding the studio into both serving as a publisher supporting mods, as well as a technology provider building a framework for character based multiplayer games based in UE4.
As a Senior Technical Artist, you’ll be trusted with creating and maintaining the foundation in which we build our worlds and visual experiences from, setting and maintaining the standards for our pipeline, tools and processes that our art team can get behind and produce their very best. You’ll be working as a senior member of a Tech Art team, acting as a bridge between artists and programmers, defining efficient and clean pipelines, developing tools and shaders, covering gaps in expertise, helping to optimize the project, and promoting asset standards.
- Help create art pipelines and assist in developing new techniques
- Create and maintain tools to help artists and designers create content
- Provide hands on support for artists and engineers in order to validate performance and standards
- Review creative processes and identify opportunities for improvements
- Solve challenging technical issues in the 3d asset pipeline
- Create and optimize shaders in UE4’s node system as well as HLSL
- Minimum 5 years experience in technical art related disciplines
- Having shipped at least 1 title in a senior role.
- Previous experience with industry standard game development software
- A wide range of skills and knowledge related to 3d art pipelines, shaders, and optimization
- Previous experience with lighting and post processing
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Positive attitude, genuine team player
- A great ability to think creatively and solve complex technical issues
- Expert in shader and tool development/maintenance, including HLSL, blueprint, and UE4 shader nodes
- Experienced in modeling and art tools/pipelines (Maya, 3DS Max, Photoshop, Substance)
- Knowledge of procedural tools and programs (Houdini, World Machine)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good artistic skills including color and composition
- Ability to work with technical documentation and write new documentation for developed tools and shaders
- Knowledge of a high level of coding (C++ specifically)
- Experience developing custom tools and scripts for content creation tools
- Previous experience with landscape pipelines and/or skybox art
- Passion for video games, and an extensive knowledge of different games across many genres and platforms.
- Understanding of the realistic visual style of OWI games and a passion to push it to the next level.
This is a full-time permanent position based in New Westminster, BC, Canada.
This role offers:
- Competitive salary
- Health and dental benefits
- Wellness spending account
- Retirement savings plan
- Employee stock purchase plan
- 3 weeks paid vacation and 2 weeks paid studio shutdown over the December holiday period
- 1 week paid annual company trip
- Annual employee anniversary gifts
- Wonderful colleagues!
If you meet the above qualifications, and OWI sounds like the kind of company you want to be a part of, please apply now with a cover letter and a copy of your resume.
Offworld Industries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical and/or mental handicap, financial ability or any other characteristic protected by law.