About Offworld Industries:
Offworld Industries Ltd. (OWI) is the independent studio behind the successful military first person shooter game, “Squad”. OWI was formed in 2014 by more than 15 developers who had worked together on the well-known Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2. The founding purpose of the team was to bring a standalone successor of this acclaimed mod to market and build a game development studio and a livelihood from that foundation.
Fast forward to 2021, OWI has nearly 90 employees and is rapidly growing. We have been expanding the studio into both serving as a publisher supporting mods, as well as a technology provider building a framework for character based multiplayer games based in UE4.
We are built on passion, unified spirit and continuing efforts to break the mold. We strive to become a leader in creating large-scale multiplayer games as well as supplying others with the ability to do the same. We are looking for a talented Lead Game Designer for our current and upcoming Unreal Engine based multiplayer games. If you are passionate about making great games and a team player, we are looking for you!
- Working with the Project Lead to oversee the Game Design on an upcoming licensed PvE multiplayer game.
- Overseeing the creation of game/technical design documentation.
- Overseeing the work of the design team when it comes to designing features, gameplay mechanics and game balancing.
- Facilitate communication between designers, producers, artists, and engineers to ensure design vision and process are clearly defined and understood.
- Identifying design solutions to evolve game meta and shape overall user experience.
- Interpreting playtest feedback and disseminating actionable items to the design team.
- Being the bridge between the design and programming teams when it comes to interpreting design requirements for game features.
- Able to drive and follow-up on prototyping with other game designers and programmers.
- Active development towards improving the stability of the game through debugging and optimizing game logic/behaviour.
- Working with team members to support and share knowledge of UE4 features / tools.
- Encourage creativity through sharing ideas and creating content with team members.
- Strong Experience in designing gameplay mechanics and features.
- Has at least 1 shipped title in a senior game designer capacity.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Works well within a creative fast paced team.
- Ability to take and provide constructive feedback.
- Experience developing and maintaining a live product.
- Experience using UE4 Blueprints.
- Experience with source control software (Perforce).
- Experience with task management software (Jira).
- Interest in military tactics and strategy.
- Mentoring skills to enable the growth of young up and coming design talent.
- A champion eager to celebrate and share the achievements of their team and the studio.
- Self-motivated problem solver and solution-finder that removes roadblocks for their team.
- Roll-up the sleeves mentality with the ability to work on the small day-to-day details of game production to the big-picture and long-term goals and deadlines in the same day.
This is a full-time permanent position, where the successful candidate will be working from home for now, with a long-term view to relocate to Vancouver Canada.
This role offers:
- Competitive salary
- Health and dental benefits
- Wellness spending account
- 3 weeks paid vacation and 2 weeks paid studio shutdown over the December holiday period
- Annual employee anniversary gifts
- Wonderful colleagues!
If you meet the above qualifications, and OWI sounds like the kind of company you want to be a part of, please apply now with a cover letter and a copy of your resume.
Offworld Industries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, color, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical and/or mental handicap, financial ability or any other characteristic protected by law.