Offworld Industries Ltd. (OWI) is the independent studio behind the successful military first person shooter game, “Squad”. OWI was formed in 2014 by more than 15 developers who had worked together on the well known Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2. The founding purpose of the team was to bring a standalone successor of this acclaimed mod to market and build a game development studio and a livelihood from that foundation.
Fast forward to 2020, OWI has nearly 90 employees and is rapidly growing. We have been expanding the studio into both serving as a publisher supporting mods, as well as a technology provider building a framework for character based multiplayer games based in UE4.
We are built on passion, unified spirit and continuing efforts to break the mold. We strive to become a leader in creating large-scale multiplayer games as well as supplying others with the ability to do the same. We are looking for a talented Art Director for our current and upcoming Unreal Engine based multiplayer games. If you are passionate about making great games and a team player, we are looking for you!
- Provide artistic leadership to drive the overall vision of the project.
- Is a mentor for the artists and coaches them.
- Deep understanding of the visual subject matter on any given project.
- Build a learning environment within the art team and implement processes of artistic research.
- Nourish the artistic vision by looking for sources of inspiration in and out of the video game industry.
- Participate in controlling the unity of all visual parts: environment, characters, atmosphere, player-controlled objects
- Follow the work of the team and ensure they reach the expected artistic quality
- Contribute to the art pipeline definition and develop milestones for the art team.
- At least 5 years of 3D game art production experience, including 2 years successful experience in art quality assurance
- A thorough understanding of art outsourcing pipelines, capacities and technical constraints related to the Unreal Engine 4 game engine.
- Strong ability in writing documentation and apply it in art production.
- Proven proficiency in current 2D and 3D applications including 3dsmax/Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop, etc
- Has experience in Environment Art, Hard Surface Art, Character Art in a production capacity
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Passionate about video games, with a strong interest for photorealistic art styles
- Demonstrates mastery of illustration, animation, and graphic design with versatility regarding backgrounds, characters and UI elements
- Possesses excellent knowledge of the principles behind anatomy and design
- Possesses a positive track record in terms of developing, mentoring, and managing multidisciplinary graphics teams
- Excellent knowledge/reasoning when it comes to game development and the realities of production, both from technical and conceptual standpoints
- Tactful and a strong communicator, able to mobilize and inspire a team
- Critical with a keen sense of observation, and able to express their ideas
- Independent, rigorous and equipped with excellent organizational skills
This is a full-time permanent position, where the successful candidate will be working from home for now, with a long term view to relocate to Vancouver Canada.
This role offers:
- Competitive salary
- Health and dental benefits
- Wellness spending account
- 3 weeks paid vacation and 2 weeks paid studio shutdown over the December holiday period
- 1 week paid annual company trip
- Annual employee anniversary gifts
- Wonderful colleagues!
If you meet the above qualifications, and OWI sounds like the kind of company you want to be a part of, please apply now with a cover letter and a copy of your resume.
Offworld Industries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical and/or mental handicap, financial ability or any other characteristic protected by law.