We are seeking a Lead Effects Artist who is both a proven leader and a great artist. The Effects Art Lead will report to the Art Director and work alongside the leads for the art disciplines, ensuring cross-department teamwork and the overall success of the games at our studio.
- Establishing and maintaining high standards for effects artwork whilst seeking ways to push the quality bar.
- Design, create and implement custom and re-usable “real-time” particle effects, simulations and effects animations for gameplay, cinematics and scripted events.
- Oversee the correction of the team’s bugs.
- Managing visual quality of final assets in-engine and ensuring they are game ready.
- Become familiar with game design documents, and identify special effects opportunities and needs.
- Check with programmers to see if the intended effects are viable in the engine, and propose alternative solutions and/or developments where needed.
- Assist with the development of effects tools or other improvements to the effects pipeline.
- Check effects quality once imported into the game, and make improvements where needed.
- Building great relationships and collaborating with other departments.
- Provide reviews to the Producer on the progress of the work carried out by the team
Desirable Skills and Attributes:
- 5+ years experience working with effects in a game related environment.
- Solid knowledge creating particle simulations.
- Understanding of 3D animation packages and other visual effects software.
- Able to create and modify workflow and pipelines according to professional best practices.
- An entrepreneurial mindset, with demonstrable experience making critical identification of key strengths to leverage, for achieving a high quality product.
- Experience with rapid prototyping and immature technology.
- Experience with PC FPS multiplayer games.
- End to end Unreal Engine experience, 1 or more shipped titles desirable.
- Able to adopt and champion the studio’s values and initiatives.
- Demonstrable experience and desire to plot a coherent vision for their own career trajectory and objectives, and able to inspire this vision in their team.
- Technical familiarity – able to converse comfortably on hardware capabilities, shader authoring and rendering paradigms.
- Strong mentoring skills to enable the growth of young up and coming art talent.
- A champion eager to celebrate and share the achievements of their team and the studio.
- Self-motivated problem solver and solution-finder that removes roadblocks for their team.
- Participate in the process of recruiting top talent for careers at Offworld Industries.
- Roll-up the sleeves mentality with the ability to work on the small day-to-day details of game production to the big-picture and long-term goals and deadlines in the same day.
- Builds and maintains effective working relationships with immediate team and studio partners to influence the successful completion of the project.
- Effective communication skills across all levels and organizations.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
- Proficient in English.
- 6 weeks of total paid vacation, which includes:
- Paid annual week-long company trip.
- Paid company breaks twice a year including a two-week Christmas break and a summer flex holiday week.
- 2 weeks of personal vacation time.
Terms: Salaried full time ($85,000 – $95,000 annually, based on experience), permanent position working in Vancouver, CA.